- The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem, in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.
- Hear, heavens,
and listen, earth; for Yahweh has spoken: “I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me.
- The ox knows his owner,
and the donkey his master’s crib; but Israel doesn’t know, my people don’t consider.”
- Ah sinful nation,
a people loaded with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children who deal corruptly! They have forsaken Yahweh. They have despised the Holy One of Israel. They are estranged and backward.
- Why should you be beaten more,
that you revolt more and more? The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint.
- From the sole of the foot even to the head there is no soundness in it:
wounds, welts, and open sores. They haven’t been closed, neither bandaged, neither soothed with oil.
- Your country is desolate.
Your cities are burned with fire. Strangers devour your land in your presence, and it is desolate, as overthrown by strangers.
- The daughter of Zion is left like a shelter in a vineyard,
like a hut in a field of melons, like a besieged city.
- Unless Yahweh of Armies had left to us a very small remnant,
we would have been as Sodom; we would have been like Gomorrah.
- Hear the word of Yahweh, you rulers of Sodom!
Listen to the law of our God, you people of Gomorrah!
- “What are the multitude of your sacrifices to me?,” says Yahweh.
“I have had enough of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed animals. I don’t delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of male goats.
- When you come to appear before me,
who has required this at your hand, to trample my courts?
- Bring no more vain offerings.
Incense is an abomination to me; new moons, Sabbaths, and convocations: I can’t bear with evil assemblies.
- My soul hates your New Moons and your appointed feasts.
They are a burden to me. I am weary of bearing them.
- When you spread forth your hands, I will hide my eyes from you.
Yes, when you make many prayers, I will not hear. Your hands are full of blood.
- Wash yourselves, make yourself clean.
Put away the evil of your doings from before my eyes. Cease to do evil.
- Learn to do well.
Seek justice. Relieve the oppressed. Judge the fatherless. Plead for the widow.”
- “Come now, and let us reason together,” says Yahweh:
“Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow. Though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
- If you are willing and obedient,
you shall eat the good of the land;
- but if you refuse and rebel, you shall be devoured with the sword;
for the mouth of Yahweh has spoken it.”
- How the faithful city has become a prostitute!
She was full of justice; righteousness lodged in her, but now murderers.
- Your silver has become dross,
your wine mixed with water.
- Your princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves.
Everyone loves bribes, and follows after rewards. They don’t judge the fatherless, neither does the cause of the widow come to them.
- Therefore the Lord, Yahweh of Armies,
the Mighty One of Israel, says: “Ah, I will get relief from my adversaries, and avenge myself of my enemies;
- and I will turn my hand on you,
thoroughly purge away your dross, and will take away all your tin.
- I will restore your judges as at the first,
and your counselors as at the beginning. Afterward you shall be called ‘The city of righteousness, a faithful town.’
- Zion shall be redeemed with justice,
and her converts with righteousness.
- But the destruction of transgressors and sinners shall be together,
and those who forsake Yahweh shall be consumed.
- For they shall be ashamed of the oaks which you have desired,
and you shall be confounded for the gardens that you have chosen.
- For you shall be as an oak whose leaf fades,
and as a garden that has no water.
- The strong will be like tinder,
and his work like a spark. They will both burn together, and no one will quench them.”